Daniel Ogbeide Law

Family law attorney in Houston

Things to Do In Case of Missed or Delayed Child Support Payments

Being a parent is a massive responsibility, and it comes with a variety of legal obligations, specifically financial ones. If you are living apart from the other parent of your child, you may have a court-ordered child support arrangement in place. However, even with the best intentions, sometimes missed or delayed child support payments can happen. In this post, we will look at some things you can do in case of missed or delayed child support payments and how a qualified divorce lawyer in Houston can help.

Things to Do In Case of Missed or Delayed Child Support Payments

Communicate with the Other Parent

The first step is to communicate with the other parent and find out why the payment was missed or delayed. There may be some legitimate reasons – a change in employment status, unexpected expenses, or other emergencies. Talking to the other parent and understanding their situation may help you find a solution.

Contact Your Local Child Support Office

If the other parent isn’t forthcoming with information or a solution, the next step is to contact your local child support enforcement agency. They can enforce child support orders and collect payments from the other parent. They can also help in reviewing child support orders if there have been any significant changes in circumstances.

Request a Modification

If you are unable to come to an agreement with the other parent, you may be able to request a modification of your child support order through your local court. In order for your request to be approved, you must demonstrate that there has been a significant change in circumstances since your original order was issued.

Spousal support attorney in Houston, TX

Seek Legal Assistance

If the other parent still refuses to pay or is unresponsive, you may need to consider hiring a family law attorney in Houston. An experienced attorney can help you navigate the legal system and advocate for your rights. They can file a motion to enforce the child support order and bring the other parent in front of a judge.

File a Contempt Motion

If the other parent continues to fail to make their court-ordered payments, you may be able to file a contempt motion against them in your local court. This will allow the court to hold them accountable for their failure to comply with the terms of your child support order.

Consider Alternative Payment Arrangements

In some cases, the other parent may not be intentionally missing or delaying child support payments. They may be genuinely struggling to make ends meet. In such cases, you may want to consider negotiating an alternative payment arrangement, such as a lower payment amount, a temporary suspension of payments, or a payment schedule that accommodates their financial situation.

Collect Payment through Private Collection Agencies

If all else fails, you may be able to collect payment through private collection agencies who specialize in collecting past-due or delayed child support payments from delinquent parents. These agencies typically charge a fee for their services but can often be successful in collecting payment when other methods have failed.

Use Social Media Platforms

You may also want to consider using social media platforms, such as Facebook or Twitter as a way of bringing attention to your situation and putting pressure on the other parent to make their payments on time.

Take Care of Yourself and Your Child

In case of missed or delayed child support payments, it can be incredibly stressful and emotionally draining for both you and your child. Take care of yourself and your child by seeking support from family, friends, and other resources. Focus on taking care of your child’s needs, both emotional and physical.

Reasons for delayed child support payments

How Can a Houston Divorce Attorney Help in the Case of Missed or Delayed Child Support Payments?

Child support is an essential financial obligation of any parent after a divorce or separation. However, not all parents fulfill their child support payments as agreed, causing distress and difficulties for the other parent and the children involved. This is where the services of a Houston divorce attorney come into play.

Enforcing Child Support Orders

If your former spouse fails to pay child support, a Houston family law attorney can help you enforce the court order and ensure timely payments. The attorney can file a petition to hold the delinquent parent in contempt of court, resulting in fines, sanctions, and even imprisonment. Moreover, the attorney can pursue wage garnishment or attach liens to the delinquent parent’s assets, such as real estate or bank accounts.

Modifying Child Support Orders

In some cases, child support payments may become unaffordable or inadequate due to a significant change in the financial circumstances of one or both parents, such as a job loss, illness, or relocation. A Houston divorce attorney can help you modify the child support order to reflect the new situation and meet the child’s needs. The attorney can prepare and file the necessary paperwork and represent you in the court hearing.

Negotiating Arrearages and Repayment Plans

If your former spouse owes back child support, a spousal support attorney in Houston, TX can help you negotiate a repayment plan or settle the amount owed. The attorney can assist you in calculating the exact arrearages and interest, proposing a reasonable repayment schedule, and ensuring that the agreement is legally binding and enforceable.

Assisting in Custody and Visitation Matters

Sometimes, child support issues are interconnected with custody and visitation matters. For example, if your former spouse is not paying child support, you may want to limit their visitation or seek sole or primary custody. Conversely, if you are not receiving child support, your former spouse may threaten to withhold visitation rights. A Houston divorce attorney can help you navigate these complex issues and protect your parental rights and your child’s best interests.

Providing Legal Advice and Representation

A qualified family lawyer can provide invaluable legal advice and representation throughout the child support process. The attorney can explain your rights and obligations, answer your questions and concerns, and advocate for your interests in and out of court. Hiring a competent and experienced attorney can increase your chances of achieving a favorable outcome and minimize the stress and costs of child support disputes.

Family law experts in Houston

Tired of Receiving Delayed Child Support Payments? Contact the Experts in Family Law Today!

Missed or delayed child support payments can be frustrating and challenging to deal with. However, the most important thing is to take care of your child’s needs and not let the emotional toll affect them.

A family law attorney in Houston can help you enforce, modify, negotiate, and understand child support orders and assist you in related custody and visitation matters. If you need legal advice and representation in child support disputes, don’t hesitate to seek the services of a trusted and skilled Houston divorce attorney.

Contact the family law experts at Daniel Ogbeide Law today! Whether you’re looking for a family lawyer or an affordable divorce attorney, we’re here to help.

Disclaimer: This article is only intended for educational purposes and shouldn’t be used as a substitute for legal advice.

Scroll to Top
Skip to content